      From: Helen Fedor <hfed@...>
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tue, February 23, 2010 1:37:21 PM
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] "Food and Eating"--2

      Thanks, but I have to 'fess up and say that I'm not translating this text. It's already written in English in _Slovakia: European Contexts of the Folk Culture_ (Bratislava, 1997), but it's in a "funky" English that sometimes doesn't make sense or sounds absurd. I'm basically copyediting it, making it readable. This item was translated into English in Slovakia. As I've heard in other, similar situations, "Oh, we know English." No, sorry, you don't. JB, if you read my very first email on the topic, labelled #1, you'll see what I mean. Compare it with #1A.

      I've heard of those books and they're on my to-read list, but that list is verrrrryyyyy long. "So many books, so little time!" is the story of my life. On that subject, I just finished reading _The Linden and the Oak_, which someone on SW had recommended. It's quite an interesting book and pretty well written. My major quibble is with the dialog. Why so formal? The author avoids contractions (for the most part, although there are sentences where it's an awkward mix); is this because he thinks it sounds too modern? I thought it sounded odd to have two peasants fellows, around 22 years old, who've known each other all their lives, talk to each other saying something like "I wonder where it is that he is going." It's jarring to the ear and just draws too much attention to itself.

      All opinions my own

      >>> "J.B. Bulharowski" <j.bulharowski@ yahoo.com> 2/23/2010 2:55 PM >>>
      Helen:

      Just wanted to thank you for the "translation" messages on food. I realize it is a huge amount of work. Perhaps I didn't catch your source for all this information, or I've forgotten/missed out on the thread, but I find it utterly engaging. My background is in food and history but food and its production from seed to table is of great interest to me. I wish I was as fluent in the language as you are so I could delve into it myself.

      Off the Slovak subject, have you read any of Michael Pollan's books(?) "Omnivores Dilemma," "In Defense of Food," and so forth, he's quite fascinating and opinionated, (nothing wrong with that). Nice to read when you aren't translating Slovak or doing your genealogy. What's the statement I saw somewhere, "so many books, so little time!"

      Again thank you and keep submitting that good stuff.

      Cheers, JB