28199Re: [Slovak-World] Question on decimated village

  • William C. Wormuth
    Jan 4, 2010
      We are now entering into the politics of the First Republic, formed by Monsignor Jozef Tiso.

      I believe that he formed the Republic, legitimately, for the good and (safety), of the Slovak people. I do not support the propaganda that Monsignor Tiso was a "Nazi, who supported the killing of the Jewish and Gypsy populations".

      Before the formation of the 1st Republic, (and following the war, up to the 2nd Republic), the Czech led Governments treated the Slovaks as second class citizens, who were not capable of anything except farming and labor. The original agreements of the Dohoda were put aside by Tomas Masaryk. For example, (which some might consider Unimportant but which effected many Slovaks) was, Republic was to be oficially named, CzechoSlovakia. Later, the government "dropped the capital "S" and Slovaks remained second class.

      School children were obliged to learn Czech and Slovaks had little or no political voice.
      In My Grandmothers village, (Kúty), in western Slovakia had a mayor, who had his position because his wife was Czech. All business, with the exceptionof restaurants and bars, in the village were owned by people who were Jews.

      The Envy and in some cases hatred of Jews, stemmed from the Hungarian rule. The King appointed the Jews as tax collectors, in order to clear his name as a tax collector. The statement I heard from our people, when I was a child was, "The Magyars took 50% and the Jews 40% and we ad to live on the remaining 10% of our incomes.".

      The dreams of the Slovaks in the afore mentioned film, were no different than those of our immegrant forefathers. They wanted to improve their lives and perhaps someday to return home and have their own businesses.

      The film, shop on Main Street, ( Obchod na Korze ), was meant as a " Propaganda tool", for the Czechoslovak Communist Government alienate any Political influence of the Slovaks.

      The dreams of the Slovaks in the film, were no different than those of our immigrant forefathers. They wanted to improve their lives and perhaps someday to return home and have their own businesses.

      Following the realization that the German Nazi's were killing these people our people began to hide Jews in homes and factories.

      It was unfortunate that the Slovak "army", Hlinkova Garda, was required to arrest and help in the deportion of the Jewish population, which gave them an image of SS troops.

      The government of Monsingior Tiso began the buildup of the infrastructure of the country and made other gains. The reason for my writing this is because I EXTREMELY detest the labeling of the 1st Republic as " as "Nazi", thus supporting the hanging of the Monsignor, exactly as intended by the communists.

      I hope that I have demonstrated the fact that were many factors included in forming of the Republic as well as the support of Slovaks. Historians look upon the war fthrough different eyes thean the people who lived it. There was not 100% good in the republic and neither was there 100% bad. The same can be said the rule of communists.

      Did any of you members ever met Father Augustine Zan, who was a chaplain for the sisters of Sts. Cyril and Method? He was a Secretary to Monsignior Tiso until the end of WW Two. He was good man whose base of existence was to be "First a Priest and Second a Slovak". His story is for another time. Nech Ban Boh dajim Sväteho Pokoji.

      Vilo

      w entering into the "Politic" of thrFrom: William F Brna <wfbrna@...>