      From: votrubam <votrubam@...>
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Re: A suffix added to family names
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, December 2, 2009, 8:23 PM

      > she hated that "ova" thing

      As Julie implied, it sounds to most Slovaks today as if an American nun hated being called that and insisted on being called a monk. But there is a tiny group of Slovak women who do not use it.

      > totally guessing here) that it came about with communism

      It became formalized and widespread, but not mandatory, after 1918. The Slovaks distinguished women's and men's last names before, the ending -ka was most common for women (there were others), it is still today in informal conversations, but the same last name, no -ova, was used for both genders in formal situations towards the end of the 19th century. There's a bit more on that here:

      <http://www.pitt edu/~votruba/ sstopics/ lawsonlangaugein slovakia. html>

      ... click on the link that belongs to the year 1995, the passage then starts on page 5.

      The smiles with Julie's last name came precisely because when applied to a woman without the -ova ending, the last name, which happens to end in -ka, sounds like what a woman from a related family might be called informally when she's not present, somewhat comparable to the English "that Jones woman."