27411RE: [Slovak-World] Hanecsak Family in Vsyne-Ruzbachy, Slovakia

    Oct 5, 2009
      Folks here are so dang helpful.   .. .and smart!

      --- On Fri, 10/2/09, Allison Batchelor <geriatricexpert@...> wrote:

      From: Allison Batchelor <geriatricexpert@...>
      Subject: RE: [Slovak-World] Hanecsak Family in Vsyne-Ruzbachy, Slovakia
      To: slovak-world@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, October 2, 2009, 6:24 PM

      Thank you for your insights, Martin.

      Our next step is getting the Church records from LDS. If we can see who was born that day/baptized that week in Lackova, we will likely discover his real name.

      Allison

      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com

      From: votrubam@yahoo. com

      Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 15:58:28 +0000

      > that Smij is a Polish name.

      Not a particularly common one, its versions are Smyj and Smij. There are occurrences just north of Slovakia's north-east border. One of the person's ancestors may have moved to Slovakia/the Kingdom of Hungary.

      > another Slovak in Cohoes, NY. --Steve Smith (Smij? was written

      > on local census next to Smith in Cohoes, NY) Surname is not

      > clear as Smith is not a Slovak name.

      A name may be a hint, but it is never a marker of a person's ethnicity. People move, marry, their descendants' ethnicity gets mixed or changes. As for English, the name Smij [smee-yy] could have easily been Anglicized as Smith.

      > It is clear however that he was born in Lakcova, (the next

      > town over from Vysne Ruzbachy)

      Just a typo for sure: _Lackova_ . See above -- whatever the name, the person can certainly have been Slovak.

      > find a Smyn fitting his age on the Ellis Island website

      This is a difficult call. The person who wrote the ship manifest seems to have been a native speaker of Czech, Croatian, or Slovak. The name Smyj or Smij, pronounced [smee-yy] in either version, sounds unusual enough for a speaker of one of the languages to mishear/try to represent it as Smyn, which sounds somewhat closer to what Czech, Croatian, Slovak words sound like. A casual look at modern records shows no such last name in Slovakia or Poland either. If you do a thorough search and find no _Smyn/Smin_, it will be an additional indication that _Smyn_ may not be the two immigrants' real last name.

      http://clk.atdmt com/GBL/go/ 171222984/ direct/01/