27052Re: [Slovak-World] Niece's School report

  • Ben Sorensen
    Sep 2, 2009
      Yep... that has been going on for years.

       The discos are fun- and being a DJ in Central Europe is a different mindset than being a DJ here in the US.  Check out the Italian Gigi D'Agostino, for example. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yey3JWKMlcE

       Slovak rap also (thank you to Martin for having the link on his page!) is a very different animal than rap here- I would go so far as to say that the social issues and mindset in Slovak and Czech rap today is what rappers had in the 80's and 90's here.  I have to add that this is HARDLY a step back... I find thier rap, when it says something (Kontrafakt or Rytmus is outstanding at this) to be much more meaningful than the American rap of today.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfpO7UWg16A
      and
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BXzkRIMalw
      (sorry about the rough language.)

        Jazz in Slovakia is a constant- but jazz lends itself to part of the Slovak musical mindset through improvisation.

      Slovak folklor has set melodies (noty- in folklor circles), just as jazz has what is called the "head."  This is the part that everyone knows- like "Maceko:" Almost any Slovak knows the words and especially the "nota" for this song.... "Isiel Macek do Malacek..."  But... the players get thier names for the IMPROVIZATION around this melody!  Same as Jazz.  The fujara... well, that is a very small portion of Slovak folk- but this is the exemplar of improv- these guys all play pistalka, koncovka as well as fujara- and usually each equally well.  You know who is playing by his improvisations- there are "cifry (riffs)" that tell you who he is, where he is from, and also give you an idea of his skill.  This is on ALL THREE INSTRUMENTS! Remember, even the "simple" people that played fujara- like Jozef Rybar and Jozef Durica- were accomplished musicians on other instruments as well.  Jozef Rybar played a good violin, and Jozef Durica played clarinet and
      tarogato.  So you see, jazz is not a big surprise at all. :-)  Bratislava hosts a Jazz festival every year. Here is a youTube example of a pistalkar/fujaras doing what he does...
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y1kv9GDnAM
      (thank you Vladi Linder for putting this up...)

      Let's not forget the VERY active "ars musica" that is in Slovakia as well- classical music thrives both here and also in the Czech Republic.  I will point here to one Czech singer- a great singer that is loved both in Slovakia and in the CZ: Lucia Bila.  National Orchestras in both countries are very active- and here is an example of Lucka Bila:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2xtqaME2kE

      Pop music- Well.... :-) It too is very active. Here are some examples, as words just don't describe it:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxKhVUa9mQ0
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxKhVUa9mQ0
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJmRHoEbN40&feature=related
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cdjf-krHHI&feature=fvst
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GCf2_nYvAE
      and one more... :-)
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOa4ZzcRNQ0&feature=PlayList&p=2EA17512D39567FF&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=18

      Ok... so much for the Slovak music lesson.  I will put fujara stuff in the "files" section.
      Ben