27006Re: [Slovak-World] Smearcase Cheese Recipe

  • Michelle Burke
    Aug 31, 2009
      There's a recipe (or two) for this in the
      Slovak-American Cookbook
      Thank you for your interest in our Anniversary Slovak-American Cookbook. With over a quarter of a million sold, the cookbook is in its 25th printing. The Anniversary Slovak-American Cookbook contains the traditional Slovak recipes that were first published in the original edition over a half a century ago. The First Catholic Slovak Ladies Association offers the cookbook as one of the ways we promote and preserve our Slovak heritage and culture.
      Since its original publication, the cookbook has received numerous accolades and recognition:
      * Chosen by Town and Country magazine as part of its feature article on American's Best Community Cookbooks, and was named the best cookbook from Ohio.
      * Made the top listing when reviewed by Cuisine magazine.
      * In 1976, National Secretary Frances Mizenko presented a copy to President Gerald Ford. His acceptance response? "Betty will love it!"
      The cookbook is printed in English, contains 439 pages of recipes, and is printed in a sturdy hard-back edition. To order, please print and fill out this order form (75K PDF)*, and mail it to:
      First Catholic Slovak Ladies Association
      >Cookbook Dept.
      >24950 Chagrin Blvd.
      >Beachwood, OH 44122
      We accept checks or money orders made payable to First Catholic Slovak Ladies Association. We are not responsible for cash enclosed, and we do not ship C.O.D.

      Here's the link:  http://www.fcsla.com/cookbook.shtml

      As I recall, it's called "Cirok" -- my sister makes it every year (although sometimes she doesn't get the proportions right, and she says it is more like custard than cheese).

      ________________________________
      From: "Marycay Doolittle" <marycayd@nycap. rr.com>

      Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 14:35:10
      To: <Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com>

      My family made the same thing and I still make it at Easter. It's call cedick. I don't know Slovak so the spelling is most likely off. I'll see if I can find the correct spelling/name. Hanging it from the sink was a tradition.
      From: Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@yahoo. com>

      Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 11:01:03
      To: <Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com>

      Hi John!

      What you just described is your Aunt's making a cow's milk bryndza! I bet that either Martin knows the ingredients, or... I may be able to get those for you as well. However, it is NOT going to be the same as using ewe's milk.
      Ben