      From: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of Ben Sorensen
      Sent: Monday, May 04, 2009 6:40 PM
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Another saying

      Ahoj Helen... and others :-)
      It isn't really the "country's comedians," but more like a Slovak version of
      "Bugs Bunny" (with very different plots, outcomes, feel...) Matko and Kubko
      are two bacovia, and their antics and escapades were the stuff that Slovak
      childhood was made of. They were a mainstay of the "Vecernicek," a nightly
      children's programming that is carried on to this day.

      The "Matko a Kubko" DVD, with all 13 of their installments, is for sale on
      stv.sk, under the Zlaty fond. It is considered classic Slovak programming,
      and, if I may endorse this series, I find the "Matko a Kubko" series to be
      more wholesome than most of what was being shown in America.
      Here is a link to a bunch on YouTube:
      http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=
      <http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=matko+a+kubko&aq=0
      &oq=Matko+> &search_query=matko+a+kubko&aq=0&oq=Matko+

      Oh, on a side note- the voice of the series is none other than Jozef Kroner,
      who also made the character Kubo (NO relation to the animated baca!) famous
      in the film of the same name. It is also available on STV's "Zlaty fond,"
      and this Kubo is the one that Martin describes- the village idiot, if you
      will. Both are brilliantly done, though I felt bad for Kubo- the character
      is portrayed as obviously mentally retarded, and his mistreatment is
      definitely sad- and almost condoned in the film.

      --- On Mon, 5/4/09, Helen Fedor <hfed@... <mailto:hfed%40loc.gov> >

      From: Helen Fedor <hfed@... <mailto:hfed%40loc.gov> >
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Monday, May 4, 2009, 2:53 PM

      I've never heard of Matko before, so I've learned something new today.
      What's his "shtick"?

      What other stock characters are there in Slovak culture (both traditional
      and contemporary) ?

      >>> Lil Junas <povetzlil@gmail. com> 5/4/2009 2:35 PM >>>
      I have a T-shirt showing Kubo and Matko dancing! Was told they were the
      coun ry's comedians.
      Lil

      On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Martin Votruba <votrubam@yahoo. com> wrote:

      > > I know that Kubo is one of the characters in the
      > > traditional Christmas-time plays, but I don't understand
      > > his role in this saying.
      >
      > The same as in those plays, folk tales, etc.: "Johnnie," sometimes a dumb
      > one.
      >

      > Martin

      "To be nobody but myself."
      www.ljunas.com