      From: Helen Fedor
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 11:10 AM
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Year of the Frog

      Poor Ben. Pat-pat-pat (apply to head as often as needed). I was just going to ask my husband to pick up some pistachios on his trip to Costco when I saw the news item. Hope you're feeling better soon.

      >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> 3/31/2009 11:00:08 AM >>>
      Helen,
      I am reading the Slovak version (thanks, Julie!!!!), and it is the feel that he writes with- it reminds me of someone else- I think it is an American writer.... I may pick up one of the cheap English versions to see if the atmosphere changed from language to language.

      I am sorry that I didn't say how beautiful Helene's post was last night. I was, as I am a HUGE fan of pistacio's, in bed with a nice fever, abdominal cramps, and near vomiting (it only takes one infected nut!) NOT fun. Then this morning, as none of us could figure out what would hit me SO hard out of nowhere- we heard about the salmonella recall on those nuts.... I think I will go back to zincica a bryndza- it is safer.:-) I feel still like I was hit by a truck.

      Helene, you will be both glad and saddened to know that kroj makers are still out there, and probably will be for a while- but the whole situation has changed for the most part. You will be hard pressed to find real Ocovsky kroj, for example- but you probably can find a person who makes kroj according to most/all regions. It is no longer so well based in the villages. They really focus on the FS (folklorny subor) dance groups, and therefore everything becomes- sadly- more stylized according to region- and more homogenous at that. The kroj still are/probably will remain individual works of art, but you probably won't see the personalization (from the maker to the wearer) that was present before. Thankfully, musical instruments are still just as stylized as before, but it is NO SOLACE for people who appreciate the "signatures" of the kroj-makers of old.

      I love your kroj. As you say, picking a favorite is like picking a favorite child. I have the same opinion when it comes to my flutes.....
      Ben