      From: Martin Votruba <votrubam@...>
      Subject: [Slovak-World] P and O and W-O
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, February 2, 2009, 2:24 PM

      > mat' okno
      > When you don't remember things due to

      For whatever reason, "draw a blank" is a good equivalent too in many
      contexts, etc.

      > potvora

      It's relatively mild now, becoming somewhat old fashioned, can be even
      endearing. "Mis-creant" (po-tvora) is the core, historical meaning.
      You cannot offend anyone seriously by calling him "potovra skareda"
      today, it wouldn't be the phrase someone would choose to truly offend.

      > remember the words in the reverse order, "potvora s~kareda"

      The attribute (adjective) is often placed after the noun in expressive

      moja mama --> Mama moja!
      Somar sprosty!
      Decko neporiadne!

      A well-known sonnet by Andrej Sladkovic begins, _Marina moja, teda tak
      sme my..._ "Marina mine, so that's were we are/that's the way it is
      with us..."