24654Re: an interesting description; comments?

  • Ron Matviyak
    Jan 3, 2009
      Wow. Trust you to come up with a finer cut of the division between
      the Alps and the Carpathians! It looks as if I will have to go back
      and find more precise writings on how they determined the separation
      of the two ranges ...

      Ron
      Splitting hairs can be a pain; splitting mountain ranges is much more fun!

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@...>
      wrote:
      > As to the Alps, Carpathians, and strict geology, the Danube cut its
      > way through the Carpathians, not between them and the Alps. The
      > Carpathians spill south across the Danube here:
      >
      > <http://tinyurl.com/7eycdy>
      >
      > The hills just south of Hainburg and Wolfsthal are the
      > south-westernmost tip of the Carpathians. The Alps start (zoom out a
      > little) with the hills a few miles south-west of them, just west of
      > Neusiedler See.
      >

      > Martin

    • Show all 33 messages in this topic