      From: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of Gergely
      Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 4:32 PM
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Paul Newman to a wierd q. for the group

      Yep,
      KDKA was the first, KQV the second commercial stations. All other east of
      the Mississippi start with a W.
      Jack Gergely
      KQV listener from the late 50s
      From: Slovak-World@ <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
      [mailto:Slovak-World@ <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>
      yahoogroups.com]
      On
      Behalf Of Caye Caswick
      Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 12:54 PM
      To: Slovak-World@ <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com

      Martin and Ben:

      My grandmother came over in 1921 -- mom said gram perfected her English
      via
      radio (seems as if most internet sites say that broadcast radio was
      around
      beginning in the early 1920's) -- and learned to read with the newspaper,
      probably once my own mother could help her do so -- mom was born in 1927.
      Gram married in 1925 -- and I highly doubt the old cabinet radio I
      remember
      them owning was something gram bought before she got married, probably
      not
      until after they had been married a while, so I'm betting she was here
      almost 10 years before her English was any good on the street.

      Caye

      --- On Tue, 9/30/08, Martin Votruba <votrubam@yahoo.

      From: Martin Votruba <votrubam@yahoo. <mailto:votrubam%40yahoo.com> com>
      To: Slovak-World@ <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 9:45 AM

      > my own students thought/felt, but they were studying in Slovakia.

      Not a contribution to your query, Ben, just a comment on how the
      immigrants learned English around the turn of the 19th and 20th
      centuries. They arrived without ever having heard English (hard to
      imagine today). There's a world of difference in the quality of
      foreign language acquisition between having even a year of language
      training and nothing, or merely physiological exposure to the language
      through music, subtitled films, and some TV programming at a younger
      age. Once they were in the US, it depended greatly on age: whether
      they got to go to school here plus the universal physiological turning
      point for languages that is the age of 12-14. If people arrived
      before the age of 12-14 and went to school, they mostly became fluent
      native speakers of English. Things began to go more slowly with no
      schooling and the later after that age the immigrant arrived.

      Another factor was gender, which translated to employment. Women were
      more likely to take care of the family or run boarding houses (often
      both), i.e., to have remained within the immigrant community all day
      long, and those learned less. There was no radio, TV then, so their
      exposure to English was minimal (again, hard to imagine today). Most
      men spent up to 12 hours a day at work, so they got some "interactive
      training" there, although it was sometimes in poor English, because
      they mostly spoke to other immigrants at work.

      Some Slovak (and other) industrial immigrant communities (whether
      people lived in them was another factor in language acquisition)
      remained so large and "stationary" that a segment of their women began
      to be proficient in English with the advent of TV.