22552Re: [Slovak-World] today's weird question

  • fbican@att.net
    Sep 3, 2008
      Caye--

      Indeed. When I grew up (1950's-1960's), Broadview Heights was considered "out in the boonies". We tried the cans'n'string thing, but the houses were just too far apart. Fortunately for me, I was an elektronicky from day one, and built some walkie-talkies. We used those instead.

      As for the mliecny burina flutes, it was old farmland, and they grew everywhere, along with elderberries, strawberries, blackberries, raaspberries, black cherries, hicory nuts, acorns, sassafras (for making tea), and Lord knows what else we ate. No mudpies that I can recall. ;-)

      Kindest regards,

      Skeeter

      -------------- Original message from Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...>: --------------

      Wow, Skeeter, you musta been from the other side of the tracks, when I lived in Cleveland, we played with mudpies and tied Campbells soup cans together with string so we could talk to the next door neighbors out the attic windows.

      Caye

      From: Caye Caswick <ccaswick@yahoo. com>
      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Wednesday, September 3, 2008, 9:35 AM

      Interesting, I'll have to show them this and see if they have a different reaction.

      Thanks, Ben.

      Caye

      From: Caye Caswick <ccaswick@yahoo. com>
      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Tuesday, September 2, 2008, 4:40 PM

      On the molasses issue -- the cousins were curious about the dark junk in the bottle -- I said molasses -- or in England Strickle -- blank stares -- so I said -- here, taste it --

      you should have seen their faces -- apparently nothing they'd ever tried before -- so I'm thinking moleasses is not a staple in the Slovak kitchen.

      Caye