      From: Julie Michutka <jmm@...>
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Re: marriage records question
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, September 3, 2008, 7:45 AM

      On Sep 2, 2008, at 11:31 PM, Martin Votruba wrote:
      >> mixed Catholic and non-Catholic?
      > Yes. The farther back we go under the Habsburgs, the more formal and
      > customary regulations there were that governed such marriages.

      Interesting, hadn't thought of that; makes sense. There's a first
      time for everything, and this is the first time I encountered a
      division of the records like this.
      >> groaning, "she's at it again about potatoes!"
      > Oh, and in Russia to boot... 8-)

      'Cause, y'know, there's soooo much written in English about Slovak
      peasant life! But I know how tolerant you've been of my questions in
      the past, and assume that you have not changed over the summer. (I,
      obviously, have not.)

      > But perhaps there's a Russian
      > forum somewhere that knows about the ways of the Russian peasant.
      > Could it stem from some (Older) Russian--(Polish) --English lexical
      > confusion concerning potatoes and sugar beet?

      OK, my first reaction was, who the heck would confuse a sugar beet and
      a potato? But a lexical confusion could make sense, and this book is
      a translation. But I can't think why peasants would grow sugar beets
      for their own consumption, but that's because I only know of them
      being used for sugar production and cattle feed. Whereas growing
      potatoes makes sense because (all together now!) you get four times as
      many calories per unit of land as you do growing wheat., etc.

      Ed wrote:
      Were any beets grown
      in the area?

      It doesn't mention them (unless it's a confusion in terms); but the
      book only discusses things as they relate to the peasants of that one
      village, and gives no idea about local agriculture beyond that.

      Ron wrote:
      nuances in one language do not always carry
      over in another language.

      I think the nuances *seldom* carry over; where we get tripped up is
      expecting the basic meaning to carry over, eg the vocabulary
      distinction between potatoes and sugar beets. We even get confused in
      our own language, over-extending the use of a word to include
      something "like" but not "the same". Raised in farm land, I grit my
      teeth when suburban discussions of property development refer to using
      "hay bales" along the property line, when it is so obvious that the
      baled material used is straw, and who the heck would waste good hay
      for something like that anyway? Or someone refers to feeding "straw"
      to cows and horses. And this could explain one term in Slovak being
      used for both potatoes and sugar beets....

      I have a whole pile of books to read this fall, including one written
      in Czech about quality of land in different areas (including now-
      Slovakia) during the reign of Maria Teresa (at least, I think that's
      what it's about ...) Be prepared for more weird questions. (More is
      modifying "questions", not "weird", in case you're worried)

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@pathbridge. net