22534Re: [Slovak-World] Re: marriage records question

  • fbican@att.net
    Sep 2, 2008
      Not to disrespect Martin, as I'm sure he knows far more than I do, but these are the best free online dictionaries I've found

      http://www.ectaco.co.uk/Electronic-Dictionaries/

      I've been using the Lingo Global 29 pocket translator,

      http://www.amazon.com/Lingo-TR-2900-Global-Language-Translator/dp/B000AI2TU6

      and it usually gets me by. I did not like Babylon and had a hard time uninstalling it from my computer. The Lingo is no replacement for a multi-lingual grandmothers, but it's the best I can do. My grandmothers passed away many years ago.

      Kindest regards,

      Skeeter

      -------------- Original message from Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...>: --------------

      Hi Martin, this is an AMAZING idea about the English lexical confusion. I find that there is ALOT of confusion- and very often proliferated by the bilingual dictionaries. For example, "spokojny" is often presented as "content," but it isn't REALLY this. It doesn't feel the same. Close, but no proverbial cigar.

      I have also seen some outright mistakes in them too and wonder if there is a really GOOD bilingual dictionary out there.

      I have one question that MAY shed light on the subject of potatos and molasses (or melasa): what is the main ingredient of um? IF it is the byproduct of melasa, we may be onto something....

      Thanks,
      Ben

      Oh, and in Russia to boot... 8-) But perhaps there's a Russian
      forum somewhere that knows about the ways of the Russian peasant.
      Could it stem from some (Older) Russian--(Polish) --English lexical
      confusion concerning potatoes and sugar beet? New crops had a variety
      of local names and the same name was sometimes applied to different
      plants. Eg., the Slovak _repa_ mostly means "sugar beet," but is used
      regionally to refer to potatoes (and also to beetroot, which is mostly
      called _cvikla_).