      From: Julie Michutka <jmm@...>
      Subject: [Slovak-World] marriage records question
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, September 2, 2008, 8:17 AM

      Dobre rano, y'all!

      I recently returned from an awesome vacation/road trip, driving from
      Denver to San Francisco. We spent a day and a half in Salt Lake City,
      and I squeezed in about 3 hours at Mecca, I mean, at the Family
      History Library, where I attempted to batter down my biggest Slovak
      brick wall. I had no luck, unfortunately, but I saved myself a lot of
      time and aggravation and some money by not having to order films, wait
      for them to arrive, wait for my local little FHL to be open, etc.
      Whizzed through the records of 3 villages, trying to find my great-
      grandmother' s baptismal and/or marriage records. Jeez, I still don't
      know where she came from.....

      Anyway, I noticed that the film details for one village had some terms
      regarding marriage records that I'm not familiar with: uzavrete
      manzelstva and zmiesane manzelstva. (I didn't examine the latter
      records, as they did not cover the time period I was searching, and
      only realized there were two different labels for marriage records
      later.) Looking at my Slovak dictionary, I'd guess that uzavrete
      manzelstva probably means "private marriage"? The basic meaning
      appears to be "enclosed", and by extension, "private"; while zmiesane
      manzelstva seems to mean "mixed marriage". Wish I'd looked at those,
      maybe it'd be obvious what they were--mixed Catholic and non-Catholic?
      Or maybe "inside the auspices of the Catholic church" and
      "outside..." ? But if I remember right, civil marriages were non-
      existent in the mid-1800s in Slovakia.... .

      Does anyone know for sure what these mean and why the marriage records
      would be divided like this? The years covered do overlap, the
      uzavrete manzelstva records cover 1798-1898,and the zmiesane
      manzelstva records 1832-1864.

      D'akujem za pomoc,

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@pathbridge. net