      From: Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...>
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, August 4, 2008 8:41:38 AM
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Ethnic dining in Cleveland

      Member how The Gouhl said PAARRRRRRma!

      --- On Sun, 8/3/08, fbican@... <fbican@...> wrote:

      From: fbican@... <fbican@...>
      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Sunday, August 3, 2008, 9:23 AM

      Michelle & Caye--

      I hope you don't mind me jumping in here. I grew up in Broadview Hts, OH, and attended Brecksville HS. After that, college at Cleveland State University, where I lived in a frat house (Alpha Epsilon Pi) on Prospect Ave. by E. 33rd St. Now I'm in Parma, OH. I have neighbors who are German, Italian, Slovak, Ukranian, Russian... a little bit of everything. My religion is principly Christian, but with a strong Jewish influence.

      If I were a dog, I'd be a mutt! LOL!!

      Kindest regards,

      ------------ -- Original message from Michelle Burke <mcmburke@yahoo. com>: ------------ --

      Caye -- I know you live on the South Side of Chicago -- I grew up in Cleveland too-- Buckeye Rd. How about you? where did you go to high school?

      From: John <jotis@.... com>
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Re: Ethnic dining in Cleveland
      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Tuesday, July 29, 2008, 10:57 PM

      Thanks very much for the information. I'm sure we'll try one of these
      places. I'm packing my Zantac as I speak. I'll let you know how it
      turns out.

      --- In Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@.. .> wrote:
      > John, if this does not paste well, I'll send it to you directly as a
      Word attachment, but here goes a plain-old cut-n-paste [drumroll] . . .
      . . .
      > Â Sokolowskis University Inn -- is an inviting cafeteria-style
      restaurant and bar that was established in 1923, and has changed little
      since then. Today it is owned by the third generation of the same
      family. The interior is cozy with wood walls lined with nostalgic local
      photos, backlit cornices, wonderful green vinyl-backed chairs, and a
      real wood-burning fireplace in the main room that's in use during most
      of the winter. The homemade Polish cuisine here is hearty, delicious and
      healthful -- as Mike Sokolowski calls it, this is authentic fare. They
      even offer their own home-brewed beer. Specials include stuffed cabbage,
      salisbury steak, kielbasa, paprikash and sauteed pierogis like grandma
      used to make.
      > Sokolowskis University Inn, (216) 771-9236, 1201 University Rd,
      Cleveland, OH 44113
      > Sterle's Slovenian Country House has been in the Sterle family since
      the early 1960s, and is just as charming today as it was over forty
      years ago. According to a 2002 article, the menu hasn't changed a bit
      either! This "Old Country" style restaurant offers a nice variety of
      Slovenian home-cooked meals. But the authenticity doesn't stop at the
      décor or menu -- on Saturday evenings, a staple at local German
      clubs and midwest Oktoberfests, entertains diners and those patrons who
      wish to take to the dance floor. Because of its large size, Sterle's is
      also very accomodating for parties and special celebrations.
      > Sterle's Slovenian Country House, (216) 881-4181, 1401 E 55th St,
      Cleveland, OH 44103
      > Marta's -- 800 E. 222nd St., Euclid, OH, 216-731-9596 -- The
      circa-1919 structure that houses Marta Runza's Czech & American
      Restaurant is a cozy backdrop to the labor-intensive Czech food she
      prepares from scratch -- dishes like succulent sauerbraten, served with
      a pileup of tender spaetzle to soak up the homemade gravy. The same
      painstaking detail elevates Runza's slowly simmered Hungarian goulash,
      her rolled flank steak, the pan-fried pork schnitzel, and her
      chicken-liver dumpling soup. On the side, choose the Czech-style
      yeast-and-flour dumplings, shaped by hand, boiled until firm, and sliced
      like bread. But Marta's culinary masterpiece is the roasted duck,
      bronzed outside and buttery within. On the side, a juicy tangle of
      sweet-tart sauerkraut makes the perfect go-with; and while Runza doesn't
      make the kraut from scratch, she does doctor it with her personal blend
      of spices and a heap of lovin'.
      > Babushka's Kitchen -- 9199 Olde Eight Rd., Northfield, OH,
      330-468-0402 -- From the handmade pierogi to the freshly baked kolachke,
      the food at this little "Polish heritage" restaurant is as pure and
      comforting as Grandma's love. From the moment you step inside, the aroma
      of made-from-scratch goodness emanates from dishes like golabki (stuffed
      cabbage rolls), crisp-edged potato pancakes, and smoked kielbasa, best
      accompanied by a tumble of slow-roasted sauerkraut and pillowy homemade
      dumplings. Chicken paprikash is a taste of home; lean pork roast melts
      in the mouth; and because Grandma always said to eat your veggies, don't
      overlook the thick, chunky applesauce or the sweet-tart
      carrot-and-cucumber salad. Factor in a friendly vibe, homey digs, and
      thumping polka music, and a trip to Babushka's Kitchen is as satisfying
      to the soul as to the palate.
      > The Linden Tavern -- 19865 Detroit Rd., Rocky River, OH, 440-333-1609
      -- Recent studies show that native Clevelanders are composed of
      approximately 25 percent fresh Lake Erie perch, 25 percent
      potato-cheddar pierogi, and 50 percent beer. Have you been hitting your
      quota lately? If not, head to the Linden Tavern, a snug little eatery in
      Rocky River, where owners Herb, Julie, and Kevin Eglinski cook up the
      most mouthwatering tavern fare in town. Take the full Cleveland route:
      golden filets of freshly battered perch, a pair of plump pierogi, and a
      frosty mug of Great Lakes' Dortmunder Gold. There's no better way to
      claim your status as a true Clevelander.
      > Cleveland's West Side Market â€" 1979 West 25th, Cleveland, OH --
      Hours Monday 7-4, Wednesday 7-4, Friday 7-6, Saturday 7-6 -- The main
      parking lot is located directly behind the Market and can be entered
      from Lorain Avenue. This lot is free, with a 2 hour enforced time limit.
      Additional parking is available by taking W. 25th to Bridge Avenue (near
      the tall apartment complex). This lot serves Market patrons and the
      other businesses along W.25th, and it is also free. Do not park at the
      shopping center on the south side of Lorain and W.25th. This rule is
      strictly enforced. The West Side Market Café is open 7 days a week
      and has an on-line menu; however, it is not particularly ethnic.
      > Cleveland still has the largest mix of Eastern European ethnic groups
      in the country, and the largest concentration of Slovenes, Slovaks, and
      Hungarians. Sokolowski’s, (address above) built on a bluff
      overlooking the smokestacks of the Flats, offers Polish food. It opened
      in 1923 as a tavern offering home cooked meals to the steelworkers- the
      two brothers who run it now are the grandsons of the couple that came
      here from the old country and started the business. The Hungarian
      Business and Tradesman’s Club on Libby Road in Maple Heights was
      formed in the 1920s, It was a social center and support group, a place
      for meetings and parties, drinking, dining, and dancing. Eating food
      “from home� was an essential part of the ambience and
      still is. Open to the public for lunch, they serve Hungarian fare such
      as liver dumpling soup, veal paprikash, or beef goulash at rock bottom
      prices. The New Era Cafe in Akron opened its doors in 1937 and has been