21336Re: [Slovak-World] weird but interesting question!!!

  • fbican@att.net
    Jun 3, 2008
      Ben--

      I'm just outside of Cleveland, Ohio, and vividly remember when a tornado went though here in the 1970's. It was only 2-blocks away from my parent's house. One woman's house was blown to bits, and she was killed. Dozens more had substantial damage. The damage they can cause is quite dramatic.

      Regular-old thunderstorms haven't bee much of a problem, perhaps because I live within 0.1mi of a 900'-tall TV transmission tower, which gets zapped all the time. Better them than me!

      Kindest regards,

      Skeeter

      -------------- Original message from Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...>: --------------

      Nick and Skeeter,
      Where do you guys live? I am in Wilmington, NC-- the T-storms here are those fiesty costal ones that carry very odd skies and pretty violent winds and lightning. But, I have a hunch that Kansas and Oklahoma probably have worse storms. I wish I knew something about meteorology, and had the guts to be a storm chaser. :-P All this talk got me wondering, so I turned on YouTube and watched some of those twisters.... WOW! I just can't imagine chasing one of those big boys down. :-)

      I was teaching when the large "uragan" (Hurricane) hit the Tatras a few years ago- the howl of the wind was amazing. What really was sad was that I have a panoramic view of the Tatras from our house in Hozelec. The villages that used to be obscured were completely visible the next day-- the view of the Tatras was completely transformed. About three days later, Hozelec was covered in an odd haze- and when we turned towards our beloved Tatras, there were red streaks dancing across the mountains in the evenings. These lines were gorgeous, and the haze carried a very pleasant odour, but it was the smoke from the burning debries and fallen logs. The red streaks were the fires, laying even more of the Tatras bare.
      Once the roads opened up, I played at a benefit event to raise money for the Tatras. Driving to Stary Smokovec, the whole area looked like an atom bomb had gone off there. EVERYTHING was destroyed. Sides of the mountains were littered with snapped trees, burnt remains, and standing trunks that reminded me of old photos of Nagasaki. It was very sad, and probably the most powerful storm I have ever witnessed. The thing was that in Poprad, we did not know about the destruction until after the storm passed. We woke up the next morning, got coffee, and then stood, mezmerized by the change in a familiar view.

      Sorry to bore you with that, but the talk about storms kinda brought back these memories.
      Ben

      Nick Holcz <nickh@...> wrote:
      At 10:25 AM 3/06/2008, you wrote:

      >I think that that may count.... :-) do you still think of it when
      >you hear those claps of thunder???
      >Ben

      Well, that's good that it counts. I do think of it occasionally.

      Nick