2107Re: [Slovak-World] in God we trust

  • Jan Lan
    Apr 3, 2003
      At 09:13 PM 4/3/2003 -0500, you wrote:
      >In the dictionary God/god is not capitalized. I think when you are swearing
      >or using words that have god attached, they aren't capitalized. I would
      >think that when you are praying or referring to a spiritual leader, then
      >God should be capitalized. Well Yanko, is this so?
      >Dave

      Better I should look it up:

      http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_caps.html

      Capitalize:

      "The names of God, specific deities, religious figures, and holy books
      examples:

      God the Father, the Virgin Mary, the Bible, Moses, Shiva, Buddha
      Zeus, the Greek gods

      Exception: Do not capitalize the non-specific use of the word "god."

      example: The word "polytheistic" means the worship of more than one god."

      Some do capitalize the pronouns associated with God such as Him. His, etc.
      (for a patriarchal deity)

      "2. Capitalization of Pronouns Used for the Persons of the Trinity.
      A secondary question concerns the capitalization of these words (as well as
      the personal pronouns — “he, his, him, me, my, mine”) with reference to
      God. To my knowledge the turn of the century (1901) American Standard Bible
      was the first Bible translation to adopt this convention. The NASB
      maintained this. This practice was taken over by various private Bible
      translations; the Berkley Bible among others. ......... "

      Janko
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic