      From: Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...>
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 9:43:34 AM
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Czechoslovak cookbook

      Hey Michelle, that's PRECISELY WHY you bring a huge batch of stuffed cabbage to the next Family Event -- you get to eat all the hard work if your nieces and nephews won't go near it.

      ;-D
      Caye

      Helen Fedor <hfed@...> wrote:
      There must have been something in the air this winter. I made my mom's pirohy recipe for the first time in 20-25 years too (some with lekvar and some with tvaroh cheese). I'd forgotten how good they are. I agree with you on the "doughiness" and heaviness of brands like Mrs. T's.

      The Easter Bread Loaf with Meat sounds like the polnina ("stuffing") my mom used to make at Easter, until I saw the bit about the calf's head. My recipe (which I don't make as I'm not that crazy about it) uses ground ham and is more like a heavy quiche filling poured into a pot that's lined with a thin layer of bread dough and baked.

      >>> Michelle Burke <mcmburke@yahoo. com> 4/8/2008 4:13 PM >>>
      Now you've mentioned my favorite food group! But I have always found Polish pierogies disappointing, like the ones from the West Side Market -- too big, and too doughy. My mom's and grandma's pierogies were small, triangular pillows, bursting with goodness, boiled in water and then drenched in browned butter and onions. I made them for the first time in twenty years this winter, from the Anniversary Slovak-American Cookbook (available to this day from The First Catholic Slovak Ladies Association -- they have a website). What I particularly love about this cookbook is that it combines 50's American cooking (Jello Delight) with Velkonocna Hlavka (Easter Bread Loaf with Meat -- the recipe starts, "Some cooks boil a calf's head, the scrape off the meat and grind...) (although I confess that I haven't tried either one, and although my grandma made mean Jello cups, I don't think I've ever had Velkonocna Hlavka).

      My sister and I keep our childhood food traditions alive, but my brother (with two kids) and his Massachusetts- born Anglo-Scots wife isn't that interested -- her kids wouldn't touch stuffed cabbage with a ten-foot pole!