      I'm not only unashamed of my lineage, I'm PROUD of it. I've made some friends here on this internet thing-a-ma-jigger, and it's been great.

      Unfortunately, the "Slavic Village" section of Cleveland has turned into a bad neighborhood, mostly hillbilly white trash. It's a far cry from when my grandparents lived there.

      Slavic Village's Karlin Hall will be put up for sale soon
      Friday, April 20, 2007

      Robert Smith

      Plain Dealer Columnist

      Ceska sin Karlin, a pillar of Slavic Village and one of the last remnants of the old Czech neighborhood, will soon fade into history. Trustees of the Fleet Avenue social club voted recently to sell Karlin Hall rather than battle rising crime and waning interest.

      "It isn't only the changing neighborhood. It's a changing lifestyle," said Joe Kocab, 75, a trustee who followed his father into the club. "The old bands are dying off. The kids are not as interested in the music. The money's not coming in."

      The Karlin club took its name from the neighborhood around Fleet and East 55th Street, once commonly called Karlin (car-LEEN), after a suburb of Prague, distinguishing the Bohemian neighborhood from nearby Warszawa, Little Warsaw, around St. Stanislaus Church.

      Czech immigrants founded the club in 1935 and their descendents sustained it with a busy schedule of polka parties and pork-and-dumpling dinners right up until this month. The club will stage its annual Button Box Jam Sunday, April 29.

      But members long ago scattered to the suburbs and some are reluctant to come back to a neighborhood beset with rising crime. Meanwhile, younger Czech-Americans aren't as interested in polka music and beer, two offerings that always paid the bills, Kocab said.

      All regular activities will continue as scheduled for now, he said, but the hall at 5304 Fleet Ave. will soon go up for sale.

      My Grandmother used to be a prominent figure there.

      One the bright side, Jaworski's Meats has moved out into the suburbs and is now much closer to my home. Oh well, I guess that happens everywhere.

      Kindest regards,

      --Skeeter