20603[SPAM]Re: [Slovak-World] Thanks!

  • bike_for_life2003
    Apr 4, 2008
      Skeeter, Caye.....

      My roots are Polish so I belong to Polish genealogy groups on Yahoo
      but I joined this group when I lived/worked in Bratislava. My dad was
      eldest of seven and grew up in Cleveland where his parents settled.
      His dad was first born in US and his mother came over from Poland when
      she was 12. The lived in Maple Heights when dad was growing up but
      his parents moved to Garfield Heights later (I think after my dad went
      into the Army). Many of them have since passed away but one aunt
      lives in Independence, one in Lakewood, and the youngest in North
      Kingsville, where we have the family reunion every summer.

      Since my dad was in the Air Force, we moved around a lot but managed
      to get back to Cleveland for a family visit at least every other
      summer. My grandmother was bed ridden and so couldn't cook but I
      remember my great aunt cooking all kinds of good things from the old
      country. Sadly, not much of this culture was passed down to us since
      my dad did not want us to be labeled as immigrant kids.

      Paul in NW Florida

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

      > Hey Skeeter:
      >
      > I grew up in Maple Heights -- St. Mike's Ortho church (which is
      now in Broadview) -- live in Chicago now, but miss all the old foods
      gram's church served up.

      > Share some recipes if you can.
      >

      > Caye
      >

      > skeeter <fbican@...> wrote:
      > Hi, Caye--
      >
      > I grew up in Broadview Hts., and now I reside in Parma. I've always
      lived on the south side of Cuyahoga county.

      > Next time I hit the grocery store, I'm going to pick up what I need
      to make some utopenci. Garlic balognas, onions, vinegar -- what's not
      to like? Yeah, that will keep lawyers (and anyone else) away.

      > It made me think. My sister-in-law's late father had a favorite
      stinky treat -- a sandwich made with limburger cheese and onion. His
      wife would make him eat it sitting on a lawn chair in the back yard.

      > Kindest regards,
      >
      > --skeeter

      I use "onion breath" to keep the lawyers a few paces back, so I found
      your comment funny and close to "home" if you will.

      > Caye
      >
      > skeeter <fbican@...> wrote:
      > Utopenci! Yup, that's it alright! Garlic knockwurst, onions,
      vinegar, and pepper. I just love the stuff. Thanks!