19993Re: New Years Eve meal

  • modra101
    Jan 1, 2008
      Cathie,

      One tradition I know about is what not to eat on New Year's Day. While
      living in Slovakia, many Slovaks told me you shouldn't prepare or eat
      any food that comes from an animal that has wings, for example,
      chicken or duck. My in-laws follow this tradition faithfully. We'll be
      eating duck next Saturday instead. Often Slovaks eat fish on New
      Year's Day. Another tradition is that if you put a fish scale in your
      purse or wallet, it will bring you fortune in the New Year. I've never
      seen anyone do that though ;)

      Happy New Year!

      Margarete

      Margarete Hurn Minar
      Author
      The Foreigner's Guide to Living in Slovakia
      www.fgslovakia.com