19984Re: Family Tree Maker and MAC

  • Paul Guzowski
    Dec 31, 2007
      Greetings and Happy Holidays to everyone,

      This is a follow-up to a longer post I wrote on this subject. There is a
      plethora of genealogy programs out there for use on any operating system
      (OS) you may have. Some of them are either compiled for different systems (
      e.g. Windows and MAC OS) or written in a platform independent fashion (e.g.
      with Sun's Java which can run on any OS). A good place to check them out is
      beginning with the software section on Cyndi's List (
      http://www.cyndislist.com/software.htm).

      There are two relative easy ways to run native Windows software on a MAC (if
      it is a relatively new MAC based on the Intel processor) and both require
      you to have or buy a legitimate license to Windows. This license generally
      must be purchased separately because the one you got with your Windows-based
      computer is usually tied to that motherboard and processor.

      The first approach is dual-booting with a bootloader utility called Boot
      Camp provided by Apple with the newest version of the MAC OS. With Boot
      Camp you have both operating systems (OS) loaded on the MAC computer and you
      can select at boot-up time whether you want to work with the MAC OS or with
      Windows. With this setup, you are running one or the other and cannot
      cut/paste information back and forth between them though you can generally
      access files with both if they are stored in a central location.

      The second option is to run Windows in a virtual machine alongside your MAC
      OS. One way to do this is with a program called Parallels Desktop (last
      advertisement I saw offered it for $79) which allows you to have both OSs
      running simultaneously. I believe this would allow one to cut and paste
      data back and forth between applications on the two desktops. The down side
      of this approach is that the two operating systems are sharing the computers
      resources at the same time and unless you have a fast processor with lots of
      RAM and don't have a lot of applications running simultaneously, you will
      likely see a performance degradation over running just one OS or the other.

      I use Linux primarily as my operating system of choice but virtually all the
      other family members use Windows so I needed a program that could run on
      both if we were to share genealogy info and collaborate on the family tree
      research. The program I chose is called Genj. Here is a short summary from
      Cyndi's List followed by a link for those who may want to try it.

      "GenealogyJ: Summary <http://genj.sourceforge.net/>
      Genealogy and Family tree on Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and Solaris.
      GenealogyJ is a comprehensive application to manage genealogic data
      (GEDCOM), suitable for hobbyist, family historian and genealogy researcher.
      It offers family tree, table, timeline views and many more. GenJ is unique
      not only as it supports the GEDCOM standard, but as it actually edits the
      GEDCOM file directly. It is written in Java and is one of the only complete
      genealogy applications working on Linux. GenJ is free software so it can be
      redistributed and/or be modified under the terms of the GNU General Public
      Licence as published by the Free Software Foundation."

      You can read more and download GenJ here:
      http://genj.sourceforge.net/wiki/doku.php

      Hope this helps and best wishes for a happy New Year!
      Paul in NW FL

      PS... If anyone wants more info or wants to discuss more off-topic subjects
      about computing and different operating systems including free operating
      systems and software, feel free to email me back channel.