19681Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Happy Feast of Nicholas

  • Marianne Petruska
    Dec 7, 2007
      Some of my cousins & I had a "mini-reunion" in P'gh-area in 2003 & several
      of us went to one of the mining communities where relatives had worked.
      Tho' the mine had closed down by then (and fairly recently before our
      visit), the office bldg, tipple & foundation of the bath house were still
      there. AND there *was* coal to be found along the pathway that led the boat
      wharf along the Monongahela. We grabbed up every lump we could find.

      I put golf-ball sized lumps in 2 clear acrylic Christmas bells & they are
      proudly displayed on our hutch every Christmas since that 2003 trip.

      Last year one cousin gave one of her grandsons a lump of coal (NOT because
      he was bad!) as a gift & told him about our family's connection to the coal
      & the mining industry. Her grandson (aged 7 then) thought it was "a really
      cool gift".

      MARIANNE