19671Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Happy Feast of Nicholas

  • Marianne Petruska
    Dec 6, 2007
      Think back to "the Great Depression" era in the U.S.: If you lived in a
      cold climate, had a big family & along with whatever other gifts each of
      your 8 kids received s/he got 2 or 3 lumps of coal in her/his stocking (for
      whatever reason) put all those lumps of coal together you've got heat for
      your coal stove for Christmas!

      Having coal miners among my ancestors (and a few in my generation of
      cousins) we have a different perspective of coal. Still there were those
      cultures that saw "coal in the stocking" as a gift for a bad child.

      MARIANNE