19458Slovakia Quartery

  • Gregory J Kopchak
    Nov 10, 2007
      Four times a year the mailman delivers Slovakia Quarterly to me.

      If you haven't got a copy yet, please email helenzx@...
      to request a sample copy.

      Greg Kopchak

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...>
      wrote:

      > hi
      >
      > glad to send you acopy of Slovakia and welcome articles or comments
      >
      > need an address to send it too.
      >
      > helene
      >
      > Marcelko Lorincz <marcelkolorincz@...> wrote:
      > Hi Helene,
      > I live in Washington DC. I am interested in all Slovak events in the
      area. I was born in Slovakia and just came here after graduating from
      University of Economics in Slovakia 8 years ago.
      > Sure, I would like a copy of yuor magazine.
      >
      > Thank you,
      > Marcel
      >

      > helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:
      > Hi Marcel -
      >
      > The Slovak Fest at the University of Pittsburgh has been going on
      for 17 years and it is run by faculty, staff and volunteers led by
      Chris Metil and Martin Votruba.It's always a wonderful time with so
      many exhibitors, talks, performances and of course the food!

      > The Slovak Party began as a Treasures Tours Reunion about 10 years
      ago - the night before the Pitt Festival when we invited people living
      in and near Pittsburgh to meet for a party in our motel room . It has
      since blossomed into a major event with 70 people flying in this year
      from California, Florida, Minnesota, Georgia or driving from
      Wisconsin, Connecticut, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Indiana
      etc. Since we have taken some 1,636 people on tour to Slovakia over
      the past 17 years - the party just gets bigger each year. Everyone who
      loves Slovakia is invited - the more the merrier!

      > The Nov 9 Washington DC event resulted from a Slovak Embassy event a
      number of years ago in which we had a large exhibit from the
      Baine/Cincebeaux Slovak Folk Dress Collection. It was very well
      received and when a D. C. organization wanted to spotlight Slovak
      culture they asked us to work with the Embassy's cultural head, Stella
      Kukuckova,
      > on a parade of treasured Slovak folk dress and feature Slovak music
      - we have been working on this for 4 years and very excited it is
      really going to take place at last! We will have 27 people taking part
      in all their Slovak and Rusyn glory!!!!

      > The neat thing about Slovak World is that we can all share info on
      events and it's really fun when we meet up in person - was great
      meeting John Matviya for the first time at the Slovak Fest and finally
      putting a face to an e mail address; and seeing Bill B.; and Mar Kay
      and Steve Zluky - Steve's gorgeous Strba kroj with the sheepskin vest;
      4 buckle wide leather belt and huge black rooster feather decorated
      hat was the hit of the Pitt parade of Slovak kroj. Lots of others from
      SW were there too.