19457Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak Party and Slovak Festival

  • helene cincebeaux
    Nov 10, 2007
      hi

      glad to send you acopy of Slovakia and welcome articles or comments

      need an address to send it too.

      helene

      Marcelko Lorincz <marcelkolorincz@...> wrote:
      Hi Helene,
      I live in Washington DC. I am interested in all Slovak events in the area. I was born in Slovakia and just came here after graduating from University of Economics in Slovakia 8 years ago.
      Sure, I would like a copy of yuor magazine.

      Thank you,
      Marcel

      helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:
      Hi Marcel -

      The Slovak Fest at the University of Pittsburgh has been going on for 17 years and it is run by faculty, staff and volunteers led by Chris Metil and Martin Votruba.It's always a wonderful time with so many exhibitors, talks, performances and of course the food!

      The Slovak Party began as a Treasures Tours Reunion about 10 years ago - the night before the Pitt Festival when we invited people living in and near Pittsburgh to meet for a party in our motel room . It has since blossomed into a major event with 70 people flying in this year from California, Florida, Minnesota, Georgia or driving from Wisconsin, Connecticut, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Indiana etc. Since we have taken some 1,636 people on tour to Slovakia over the past 17 years - the party just gets bigger each year. Everyone who loves Slovakia is invited - the more the merrier!

      The Nov 9 Washington DC event resulted from a Slovak Embassy event a number of years ago in which we had a large exhibit from the Baine/Cincebeaux Slovak Folk Dress Collection. It was very well received and when a D. C. organization wanted to spotlight Slovak culture they asked us to work with the Embassy's cultural head, Stella Kukuckova,
      on a parade of treasured Slovak folk dress and feature Slovak music - we have been working on this for 4 years and very excited it is really going to take place at last! We will have 27 people taking part in all their Slovak and Rusyn glory!!!!

      The neat thing about Slovak World is that we can all share info on events and it's really fun when we meet up in person - was great meeting John Matviya for the first time at the Slovak Fest and finally putting a face to an e mail address; and seeing Bill B.; and Mar Kay and Steve Zluky - Steve's gorgeous Strba kroj with the sheepskin vest; 4 buckle wide leather belt and huge black rooster feather decorated hat was the hit of the Pitt parade of Slovak kroj. Lots of others from SW were there too.

      Where do you live Marcel? Do you have any interesting Slovak-related events nearby?

      would you like a copy of our Slovakia magazine?

      Caujko!

      helene

      Marcelko Lorincz <marcelkolorincz@...> wrote:
      Hi Helene,
      Who organizes these events?
      Marcel

      helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:
      It was wonderful to see so many people from SW at the Slovak Party Sat

      night - we were all amazed at Dr. Q's superb performance on the fujara!

      Bravo!!!!!

      Dr Q is signed up to perform next year!

      The 2008 Super Slovak Party is all set and a Hollywood theme chosen

      and we hope you will plan to attend. It will be held the night before the Slovak

      Festival at Pitt which is always the first Sunday in November.

      Great to see more SW people at the Festival on Sunday - looking forward to

      Fred Kovalyak's pictures.

      helene