      From: Marianne Petruska <marianne50614@...>
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, August 2, 2007 11:01:26 AM
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Godparents

      Thanks for the Armata info. My mother was a 1st generation American of
      Carpatho-Rus/ Ruthenian/ Slovak ancestry & she too had godparents who were
      married to each other & she always referred to them as "Aunt" & "Uncle" (or
      the Slovak equivalent for those) though we've yet to determine that they
      were related by either blood or marriage. (And she did know their first
      names.)

      I was baptized twice: Within 2 weeks of birth as GC & 6 months later as RC
      (& raised RC) -- and neither set of godparents were married couples. Mom
      always said her father insisted I be baptized as soon after birth as
      possible, hence the GC baptism. Dad was baptized GC but was raised RC &
      insisted I be re-baptized RC. I vaguely remember my GC godmother; both my
      godfathers passed away when I was a toddler.

      I had a wonderful relationship with my RC godmother who considered herself
      more my grandmother (both of mine died prior to my birth). My RC
      godmother's daughter & my mother (both only children) called each other
      "sister". To me, my godmother's daughter is "Aunt" because of the sisterly
      relationship she had with my mother.

      MARIANNE