18549[Slovak-World] Re: marriage witnesses--slight tangent

    Aug 1, 2007
      This discussion has reminded me that traditionally, a Slovak child's godfather and godmother have played a larger role in the child's life. For example, their place of honor at the wedding.

      Was it a Slovak-wide tradition that, although the godmother and godfather could be married persons, they weren't supposed to be married to each other (mine weren't)? I guess it was to increase the number of families with which the child could live if something happened to his/her own parents and blood relatives, not such a far-fetched occurrence in those times.

      >>> "Gregory J Kopchak" <greg@...> 08/01/07 10:05 AM >>>
      Helen, Andrea, Julie and All

      We have lots of Slovak Wedding Traditions at www.iarelative.com/wedding

      For what ever reason, the subject of Witnesses at Slovak weddings
      never turned up at the site.

      There are a couple interesting theories here.

      The Godfather theory.

      The Respected member theory.

      After digging through a couple hundred Slovak Church records here this
      morning, I have a theory and only a theory.

      The witness at a Slovak wedding was a respected member of the
      community. It seems that the same person was witness to multiple
      marriages over years and based on age, was a respected member of the
      community.

      Does anyone have facts to support either theory?

      Greg Kopchak
      It's All Relative

      > I remember my mother telling me, years ago, that godfathers had a
      role in weddings (eastern Slovakia), in addition to sitting at a place
      of honor at the celebration, the main table or somewhere nearby. The
      godfather of the groom was the groom's "pitac~", the "asker". It was
      he who would formally ask the bride's parents for permission for the
      young man to marry their daughter.

      > I also seem to remember that the bride's godfather (why not the
      godmother? or the maid of honor?) would "assist" the bride as she
      asked forgiveness of her family before marrying. She'd first kneel
      down in front of her parents and ask them to forgive her for any
      wrongs she might have done them, then do the same for her siblings.
      Whether this extended to others in her family (spouses-of-siblings
      living in the same house or elsewhere, aunts and uncles, cousins) I'm
      not sure. I can see how this may have come about, as the bride often
      left her family and went to live with her new family, sometimes a
      distance away.

      > That's an outstanding question.
      > I have a popular relative who turns up a few times around 1800.
      Thinking it over, didn't we learn at one time that the wedding
      witnesses were supposed to be the original godfathers of the bride and
      groom? Of course they may also have played starring roles at the wedding.