18365Re: NCOD birthplace

  • Martin Votruba
    Jul 14, 2007
      > There were others using this code on the page and I wonder
      > if these people insisted that they were Slovak and not
      > Czechoslovakian. Previously, the census listed them as
      > coming from Slovakland.

      The initiative of the 1930 Census taker (or its absence) probably also
      played a role, Noreen -- to what degree s/he tried to determine an
      existing country if he heard a name of a territory for which he found
      no code, and also his and the polled person's familiarity with
      Europe's current and historical geography. It was probably faster to
      enter NCOD when the census taker heard something he had no clue about
      than start a discussion.

      _Slovakland_ appeared in the 1920 census, i.e. before the Census
      Bureau introduced the country codes. If someone born in Banska
      Bystrica said "Czecho-Slovakia," that's what the census taker entered,
      and when the polled person said Hungary or Austria or Slovakland, that
      became the entry.

      _Slovakland_ was a meaningful English rendition. Czecho-Slovakia
      consisted of 4 administrative units ("centrally administered states")
      between 1918-1939 that were called "lands" (zem), not "states" like in
      the US: Slovak Land (zem Slovenska), Czech Land, Sub-Carpathian Land,
      and Moravian-Silesian Land. Prague copied the term from Germany which
      still calls its federal states "lands."

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic