17994Re: Settlement of Slovaks in North America.

  • Martin Votruba
    May 8 9:11 AM
      > There's also a Slovak community in Colorado (Denver, I think),
      > no doubt there because of the mining.

      That's an interesting instance of Slovak immigrant history, Helen. It
      seems to be mostly secondary migration -- some Slovak Americans moved
      from the East to Pueblo, CO, to the steel mills there. Some of them
      then found jobs in the mountain mines. For instance, Leadville, the
      highest incorporated municipality in the US (10,430 ft), has the
      highest, or one of the highest percentages of people registering
      Slovak ancestry in the state. And Colorado has the 10th highest
      concentration of people with Slovak ancestry. Does anyone have
      information about direct immigrants from Slovakia to to Colorado and
      any existing Slovak-American communities they may have joined?

      A group of those dissatisfied with their work in Pueblo bought land
      east of Colorado Springs and hoped to become farmers. I stopped at a
      cemetery near Simla once and did notice a couple of Slovak-sounding
      names. A Slovak-Worlder posted about them some years ago. She said
      it hadn't been successful. I wonder whether she can provide more
      details about them if she's still subscribed.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic