      From: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of modra101
      Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2007 9:59 AM
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Settlement of Slovaks in North America.

      Hello,

      For those who have extended knowledge of the settlement of Slovaks in
      North America, I'd like to ask you to take a look at this brief
      paragraph and tell me if you agree with this. I need it for a writing
      project and want it to be as correct as possible, of course.

      "In the United States, many Slovaks settled in Pennsylvania and Ohio
      with Pittsburgh becoming a major center for American Slovaks, mainly
      due to the mining and steel works that could employ many unskilled
      workers. By far the greatest number of Slovaks came from east and
      north Slovakia, particularly from the regions of Zemplin, Saris, Spis,
      and Orava [correct accent marks will be placed]. It is said today that
      almost every family in east Slovakia can claim a relative or
      descendant in North America."

      The last sentence came directly from a Slovak who is from Kosice so
      I'll take his word for it.

      Thanks,

      Margarete Hurn Minar