      I will add to that a reference to our northern neighbors, the Poles.
      After the war they built the giant steelworks next to Kracow - Nova
      Huta. I take huta to mean any high-temperature smelting operation,
      steel, glass or otherwise.

      I was surprised and delighted to once run across a stone tower in the
      eastern USA, off in the woods. It was listed locally as a very early
      steelworks! It looked to be not much more than a stone chimney...
      but our ancestors had to start somewhere.

      > In dictionaries, just "huta" is given as "smelting works" or
      "smeltery". The 1997 SAP dictionary also has "sklarska huta" as a
      "glass works". The historical dictionary (_Historicky slovnik
      slovenskeho jazyka_) gives 'smelting works' as definition #1, while
      #2 has "zavod na sklarske a i nekovove vyrobky" (a works for glass and
      other non-metal products), giving two examples (the earliest example
      from 1585) of "sklenna huta". "Huta" can also be used with other
      adjectives, such as "solna huta" (salt works) and "syrkova [sirovy]
      huta" (sulphur works).

      > Ron, enjoyed what you and Vlad wrote. So many of the tools in the
      Slovak museums and skansens are so beautifully made and decorated.

      > Re "huta" I had heard that a "huta" was a place where glass was
      made - like a glass works - there are a nujmber of places in Slovakia
      that have a smaller place nearby that the name ends in "Huta". I was
      told this about Livovska Huta near Bardejov.

      > i would love to have someone confirm that this is true or does
      huta mean foundry or factory also?