17546Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Rusyns demand Rusyn in church

  • Dr. Joe Q
    Feb 12 6:35 PM
      Dear Martin,

      The Rusyn "identity" question has been around since
      the early 1900s (and probably longer for those who are
      Rusyn). As I understand it, the Rusyn (Rus',
      Ruthenian, Galician, Silesian, Lemko, Bojko, Hucul,
      etc., etc.) have been a point of discussion and
      dissension since the end of WW1. There is a faction
      that claims the Rusyns living in Ukrainia (Romania and
      former Yugoslavia) are not necessarily Rusyn because
      than have accepted the identity of the present home
      country - - - while others claim that these people are
      still Rusyn.

      Your colleague Paul Magocsi (U. Toronto) has published
      volumes on the Rusyn.

      Do you have anything more to add to Paul's
      observations?

      Thanks.

      Dr. "Q"