17542Re: Rusyns demand Rusyn in church

  • Sinbad Schwartz
    Feb 11, 2007
      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@...>
      wrote:
      > Charter 2007 was released 4 weeks before the formal inauguration of
      > Canadian academic Paul Magocsi's history of the Rusyns in Presov
      >later this month. The book is in Slovak.

      Thanks Martin. Do you have an URL for a Charter 2007 site?

      >I've seen numerous instances when the
      > names of organizations called "XYZ na Slovensku" were translated to
      > English as the "Slovak XYZ," which would then translate back (wrongly)
      > as "Slovenske XYZ."

      A lack of knowledge of the language and grammar is why I hesitate to
      communicate frequently in Rusyn or Slovak with my relatives in
      Slovakia. Once I get beyond my rudimentary knowledge of early 20th
      century Rusyn I most probably would be writing gibberish to them.

      RU
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic