      From: Sinbad Schwartz
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2007 1:18 AM
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Re: Rusyns demand Rusyn in church

      Oooops. Sorry for the blank reply. It was a "schlep" of my fingers.
      In 1999 I attended two Greek Catholic services in Slovakia. One in
      Kamienka and the other in Bardejov off Stara Mesto. I can't swear to
      it but I thought the homilies were in Rusyn. Is this just an attempt
      to get official recognition of Rusyn by the church or to require
      Rusyn be used in all GC churches?

      My relatives made a point of saying the Mass in Bardejov would be
      in "Stara Slovenska"(sp). Does this mean that Mass is now normally
      said in Slovak in the Slovak GC churches. GC Mass is now said in
      English in this country.

      RU

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Sinbad Schwartz"
      <sandman6294@...> wrote:

      > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Rusyn activists in Slovakia want the Greek Catholic Church (often
      > > called Byzantine in the US) to introduce Rusyn in its services.
      The
      > > campaign does not concern liturgy in the historical language
      called
      > > Church Slavic, which the activists want to retain, but at the
      > sermons
      > > that are in Slovak.
      > >
      > > After the communists took over in Slovakia in 1948, they copied
      the
      > > practice in the Soviet Union and banned the Greek Catholic Church,
      > > which they linked to the (Russian) Eastern Orthodox Church.
      > Following
      > > the demands from the Kremlin, they also banned references to Rusyn
      > > ethnic identity and mandated Ukrainian identity instead (many
      Rusyns
      > > preferred to opt for Slovak rather than Ukrainian identity
      then).
      > The
      > > Greek Catholic Church was permitted again during the relaxation of
      > > communist rule in the late 1960s, but the ban on Rusyn identity
      was
      > > not removed until after the collapse of communism in 1989.
      > >
      > > The current Rusyn campaign, called "Charter of Rusyn Greek
      Catholic
      > > Believers 2007," charges that the Greek Catholic Church
      Slovakizes
      > > its Rusyn members because it does not provide for the use of
      Rusyn
      > in
      > > church.
      > >
      > > The Greek Catholic Bishop's Office in Presov has said that the
      Rusyn