17255Re: marriage records

  • mdndmdnd
    Dec 8, 2006
      Congratulations on the upcoming birth of your child. I think the
      most important thing is that you wish to name your son in honor of
      his grandfather and great-father. That is the heart of the matter,
      the exact spelling is not that important. By naming him Andrew, you
      honor those who came before him.

      Last year, I visited the ancesteral village of my maternal
      granfather in Fulianka, which is also in eastern Slovakia. I
      visited the graves of my great grandparents, Mihaly (Michael) and
      Maria Ivanko. My grandfather came to the US in 1906, and his
      American name was Michael Evanko.

      My paternal grandfather also came to the US in 1906 from Sambir,
      Ukraine. In Ukraine, he was known as Danko Lukaszyk, in the US he
      was known as Daniel Lukachick. My father was Michael Daniel
      Lukachick, and my name is Michael Daniel Lukachick, Jr. I am named
      for my father, both of my grandfathers, and my great grandfather.

      When Eastern Europeans came to this country, and names were
      Americanized, either by the immigration officials or on their own.
      Using an Americanized version of a European name is quite
      acceptable, and does not diminish the honor you are bestowing on the
      child's ancestors.

      Good Luck!

      Mike Lukachick

      -- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "vchromoho" <rcuster@...> wrote:

      > Circ is a village inhabited almost entirely by Rusyns.
      >
      > In the Rusyn language, specifically in the dialect spoken in Circ
      and
      > throughout most of Rusyn east Slovakia, the name Andrew is
      >
      > Andrij <UN-dree>
      >

      > "Andreas" is Latin. Our people would have never called each other
      > that, nor "Joannes", nor "Basilius". Greek Catholic church
      records
      > were kept mainly in Latin and Hungarian. We must not presume that
      an
      > official record giving our ancestor's name as "Andreas" means that
      was
      > a name that they actually used.
      >
      > Even the Greek Catholic church records that are in Church
      > Slavonic/"iazychie" usually give Church Slavonic -- not native --
      name
      > forms, e.g., "Ioann" for John. That doesn't change the fact that
      > everyone who knew such a person called him Jan, Janko, Ivan,
      Janik,
      > Ivanko, or Vanyo.
      >
      > RDC
      >
      > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, e.gernat@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Jon,
      > > Here are the records of Circ, Slovakia with a name spelled
      Andreas.
      > > Ed

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic