      From: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com]On
      Behalf Of Martin Votruba
      Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 12:23 PM
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Re: Cross the border anywhere

      > Does this mean that visitors to Poland or Slovakia from
      > the United States may travel freely between borders without checks?

      Yes, Noreen, and visitors, refugees... from anywhere else -- there
      will be no one to check anything.

      > If so, I think that the airport security checks upon entering
      > Slovakia or Poland will most likely be increased.

      They will be the same as they have been. The system has already been
      in place for a large part of the European Union for some time. It was
      put in effect in 1995, more countries have joined since -- you travel
      without a single border check from Portugal to Vienna. Slovakia and
      its neighbors are merely being added to the system. Slovakia's
      airport checks already comply with the system: they are the same
      checks as when you fly into any EU airport (whose country already
      participates).

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu