16512Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Spelling of my name

    Jul 31, 2006
      In English (although more British English, I think), we'd say "This is the height of [rudeness] [ignorance] [etc.]."

      Helen

      >>> konekta@... 07/30/06 1:50 AM >>>
      Nomen est Omen.
      This reminds me of the Johhny Cash's song "A boy named Sue" and the message it carries.
      In your case, Vrsek is a diminutive of Vrch, which means Peak, or top of a mountain or anything that has it.
      If you are outraged you say: Toto je teda vrchol...., meaning Now this is the top of ... ( what I can bear or expect or tolerate or rather not any more....)

      Vladimir

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Chuck Vrshek
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, July 29, 2006 7:59 PM
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Spelling of my name

      Same here. I almost always have to spell out my last name,Vrshek: V as in Victor, R, S as in Sam, H, E, K. That's the only way to have others spell it correctly. With only one vowel, people give me funny looks all the time. Typically, they interpret the written V as a U, and so I too have to search for my paperwork that has been misfiled. The original spelling was Vrsek.

      However, the most irritating thing is to have people respond with a laugh or a stupid grin and respond, "What the heck kind of name is that?" That's when I have to hold back my temper and slowly respond, "It's Slovak, and I am quite proud of it. Is there a problem with that?" Unfortunately, that happens a lot here in the Georgia, unlike Chicago where my name fit in with the rest quite well. Chuck Vrshek, Marietta, GA.

      raybravo2000 <colinvv@...> wrote:
      OK, Varga, when I was about 10 years old my father and I went to get his car which was
      being worked on at the dealer. I think we waited about 30 min. while the manager tried to
      find the paper work. I remember him walking all around the shop asking all the
      mechanics, looking high & low, saying the name out loud, and then checking everything
      twice. My father suggested it might be filed under "B"arga, and it was right there. I think
      this was the second time they did this, and apparently a common mistake. I too have had
      problems especially when spelling my name over the phone so I always say "V" as in Victor
      A R G A.

      Also, Colin, I had a S. Korean housemate who learned English from our other housemate
      who was from Boston and had a thick Boston accent. One time Chung had to address a
      letter to me and he spelled my name in Boston phonetics, "C A R L Y N N E".

      Colin

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Bohinc" wrote:

      > Today, for the fist time in my life, I ordered "Classic Love Songs from the 50 ties"
      collection for my wife's birthday. I made it on the phone.
      > I spelled my name in several ways ( the guy was czech), also like Bertha Otto Heinrich
      Ida Nordpol Caesar , as it is usual with german speaking countries. So he got is written
      down right. After a short chat he then said:" Ok, Mr.Bohnic, thank you very much for your
      order."

      http://www.eset.sk