16501Re: Spelling of my name

  • raybravo2000
    Jul 29, 2006
      I was talking with my father and I repeated something George Carlin said that "... your
      name can be ginofski and you can spell it S M I T H...". Then he told me about a student
      of his whose family name was changed to something American at Ellis Island but the
      family insisted on pronouncing it as the original Russian name which was not spelled
      anything close to the American name.

      Colin

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, David <humblebe@...> wrote:

      > Hi you all: Try Kuchta. If you are German or of Slavic decent, no
      > problem Englanders have a hell of a time saying it. Sometimes I will
      > tell them several time and each time it comes out is Kushta.
      > Dave Kuchta (Cook-ta)
      >
      > At 09:23 PM 7/29/2006, you wrote:
      >
      > >On Sat, 29 Jul 2006, raybravo2000 wrote:
      > >
      > > > OK, Varga, when I was about 10 years old my father and I went to
      > > get his car which was
      > > > being worked on at the dealer. I think we waited about 30 min.
      > > while the manager tried to
      > > > find the paper work. I remember him walking all around the shop
      > > asking all the
      > > > mechanics, looking high & low, saying the name out loud, and then
      > > checking everything
      > > > twice. My father suggested it might be filed under "B"arga, and
      > > it was right there. I think
      > > > this was the second time they did this, and apparently a common
      > > mistake. I too have had
      > > > problems especially when spelling my name over the phone so I
      > > always say "V" as in Victor
      > > > A R G A.
      > > >

      > >My mother (who is also a Varga) had to have her name changed to reflect
      > >the right spelling...my Grandfather had it down as "Warga" instead,
      > >which you wouldn't think would matter as her maiden name, except she uses
      > >it kind of as a middle name too (with no hypen or anything) since she
      > >never had a middle name. Maybe that's why I drive a VW today?
      > >
      > >My Cousin (a Varga as well) is getting married today...we would be there
      > >but we got called out of town unavoidably.
      > >

      > > > --- In
      > > <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com,

      > > Songs from the 50 ties"
      > > > collection for my wife's birthday. I made it on the phone.
      > > like Bertha Otto Heinrich
      > > > Ida Nordpol Caesar , as it is usual with german speaking
      > > countries. So he got is written
      > > > down right. After a short chat he then said:" Ok, Mr.Bohnic,
      > > thank you very much for your
      > > > order."

      > >---------
      > >Tom Flynn