16124RE: [Slovak-World] Photo Exhibit at Helpa Festival, June 23 - 25

  • helene cincebeaux
    Jun 3, 2006
      HI Steve - in and out - taking a group to romania on Aug 1 from Kosice and then return Aug 11 - then last group for Three Countries trip Aug 12 - 21 and then going to visit a friend in Budapest for a week. So maybe back at the end of the month.

      Will you be in Slovakia then?

      helene

      kmzluky <meadow10@...> wrote:
      Helene,
      Will you be in Slovakia in August?
      Steve

      photo exhibit at Helpa Folk Festival, June 23 - 25. It will feature photos
      from the beautiful Horehronie region, neighboring regions of Detva, Liptov,
      Spis, as well as photos throughout Sklovakia that my mother and I have
      taken during the past 36 years.
      > The exhibit will be held in the school on the festival grounds
      overlooking the village and under the peaks of the Middle Tatras. Expect
      the opening will begin at 3 or 4 pm - would love to see you there. (If you
      want to contact me I can give you my Slovak mobil phone number - expect to
      have it beginning June 22).

      > Helpa Festival is a good deal smaller than Detva and Vychodna - which
      by the way they just cancelled as the new amphitheatre is not ready - but
      it is a very sweet festival. The folk music, dance and dress are
      outstanding!

      > One of my favorite things is Friday afternoon when they erect a
      "remembrance room" decorated with folk dress and embroideries and village
      treasures - the elderly ladies are there spinning and sewing and telling
      stories; the older village men come to joke and sing songs and play the
      accordion and the fujara and there is a super booth where you can taste all
      the local specialties - like gulky - yum are they filling and wonderful and
      buttermilk and baked goods - it's lots of fun and great photo opps. Often
      there are craft booths set up here and performances on Sat. morning or
      there have been in the past.

      > This takes place in a little square in the village below the church.
      The festival is at the other end of town up on the hillside.so be sure to
      check out the program so you don't miss anything. And things do change so
      hope this fun part is still going to be held. The festival performances
      begin Fri and continue through Sat. and Sun.

      > helene

      > Slovakia phone card Slovakia call Bratislava slovakia
      Hotel slovakia Slovakia phone Slovakia