15273Re: I am a fledgling new member...

  • sandman6294
    Mar 5 11:16 AM
      >...I am very engaged by all the e-mails and want to say that it is
      all a bit overwhelming and so fascinating to read about all things
      Slovak.I have been quite ignorant until now and must catch up. I have
      requested a family tree from a cousin and know that John Sabanosh, my
      grandfather, originated in Hanusovce.<

      Welcome to S-W. There are a couple of Hanusovce in Slovakia but the
      name is found in the Eastern Slovakia town of Hanusovce nad Toplou (
      http://www.hanusovce.sk/ ). There are four Sabanos^(pronounced
      Sabanosh)listed in the online SK phone directory (
      http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html ) for the town. Most of the
      other Sabanos^ listed in the directory are also from the area around
      Hanusovce nad Toplou. There is a Jan Sabanos, age 26, farmer in the
      EIDB. He is shown arriving in January 1895. Do you know what
      religion they were?

      >He is deceased as is my grandmother, Mary Ruchinsky. I do not know
      where in Slovakia she originated from.<

      I found three Ruc^insky (pronounced Ruchinsky) in the SK online
      directory. Two are located in Eastern Slovakia.

      >Does anyone know the term "sprosti ivan" (sp.?)? My mother used to
      use that term.<

      Others on this list could handle this better but the term "sprost-" I
      believe would have negative connotations. If I'm in the ball park it
      could mean rude or something similar. If it was "prost-" it could
      mean "just", "straightforward" or "simple" i.e. "honest John"(?).

      >She told me so many stories but I found storks used to sit on the
      roof<

      Storks do migrate each year to Slovakia, among other countries.

      >and the wolves would also hide on the roof in the winter when the
      snow was high to pounce on an unsuspecting human<

      This probably came from old legends and folklore.

      >and all the animals would have to be taken in the house for fear of
      the wolves.<

      I believe most peasant homes were built with attached stables and it
      was normal to have the animals in the stables.

      >Also, supposedly my grandfather John Sabanosh belonged to a family
      with many brothers and they had a ranch and raised cattle and tanned
      the leather hides. Then they exported them and that is how they
      traveled to America, on business as exporters of fine leather goods. <

      Ranches, as we know them in America, did not exist in Slovakia.
      Typically, most people lived on small subsistence farms. Having many
      brothers could be a problem. I'm not certain how the inheritance
      customs worked in Slovakia but I believe the property went to the
      eldest son. As a result, the others became farm workers or, in the
      nineteenth and twentieth century, emigrated to America. They may
      well have been tanners but exporting hides to America would be
      like "shipping coal to Newcastle". If they were expert leather
      workers there might be some credence to the story.

      >They mentioned something about the mountains also.<

      There are a few small mountains in the area but nothing like the
      Tatras.

      RU
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic