14862Re: Galicia

  • sandman6294
    Jan 31, 2006
      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Richard & Julianna Zarzycki

      <julianna@e...> wrote:

      > Can anyone on this group tell me what country governs or controls
      > Galicia? Someone asked me to find out for them. Thanks in
      advance.
      > Julianna

      Spain currently controls it (I'm being facetious). There is a region
      of Spain named Galicia but you are probably interested in the Central
      European Galicia before WWI. I believe most is in Poland and some in
      Ukraine.

      "During the Partitions of Poland in 1772 and 1795 the Austrian Empire
      annexed Little Poland and ... The map shows the territory of Galicia
      before WWI."

      http://www.polishroots.org/geomaps/maps_galician.htm

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galicia_(Central_Europe)

      RU