14078Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Lost Recipe

  • Matchett
    Dec 9, 2005
      The best spring water I ever tasted was in Marianka where there's a
      shrine and grotto to Mary. My cousin told me to bring a bottle as we
      were going there for Mass. I was thinking holy water and had a little
      bottle! He laughed and gave me a big bottle. When we got there I saw
      people lined up with jugs and bicycle riders filling up their water
      bottles.

      I had been there with my mother in 1982 and not many people were there.
      I was told there was just one old priest. I didn't see the spring at
      the time. Now, the seminary there has several candidates for the
      priesthood and there are many booths selling religious articles.
      Helene's tour stopped there in 2000 and the church was being restored.

      When I was there in '02 for Mass (and got the water), the church was
      overflowing with people and rows of chairs set up outside. It is one
      of my favorite places to visit and recall my mother's many stories of
      processions there from her home in Zahorska Bystrica.

      Julia Matchett