14077Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Lost Recipe

  • Tom Flynn
    Dec 8, 2005
      On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, Martin Votruba wrote:

      > > It might have been at the spring lower down (closer to the
      > > road) that we stopped...I remember being on that same road
      > > on a previous trip
      >
      > Yes, Tom, the mineral spring is quite well known today because it's on
      > the main route between Bratislava and Presov/Kosice, under 10 miles
      > east of Levoca near Spis Castle. And indeed, you cannot see the
      > chapel and new-fangled geyser from the spring where passers-by get the
      > water, you'd have to climb about 160 ft. One of Slovakia's most
      > popular mineral waters comes from the village of Baldovce only 2 miles
      > away. They started bottling and selling it about 200 years ago.
      >
      > The warm springs at your ancestral Teplica are mineralized, too, but
      > people have traditionally not been too enthusiastic about warm springs
      > when they wanted drinking water. The name of the nearby _Slanec_ that
      > you mention is related to "salt/salty" and indicated springs and
      > places where people would make salt by boiling mineralized water (a
      > slanec could also be the person who did it). Thee were plans for
      > Kosice to tap the geothermal water in the region for central heating,
      > but I don't know how far the project has progressed, if at all.
      >

      > Martin
      >
      > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
      Thank You, Martin,

      Thinking about it now, I guess that if there was a source of mineral water
      closer to their town, they would have gotten it there instead...I didn't
      realize that the water at Slanec was salty (and also warm, as it is in
      Zemplinska Teplica)
      ---------
      Tom Flynn
      I speak only for myself