14058Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Lost Recipe

    Dec 6, 2005
      Sorry, I was less than fully clear. While my father comes from from Slanske Nove Mesto, my mother's family comes from about 3 miles away, Male Ozorovce, which is where the spring is. MO is not far from Sec~ovce: if you take the road from Kos~ice to Sec~ovce, just as you get into Sec~ovce, you take a right and go down that road. The first village is Zbehn~ov (my mother's father came from there), then there's a tiny Roma settlement (doesn't have a name), then there's MO. A cousin on my mother's side married a fellow from Sec~ovce with the last name of Tirpak. Ring any bells?

      >>> trflynn@... 12/05/05 7:01 PM >>>
      On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, Helen Fedor wrote:

      > My family lives near Slanec (my father's family came from Slanske Nove Mesto), in a little village that has a spring (comes out of a pipe in a little cement wall). My cousin's wife said that they use their "plumbed" water for cooking, washing, etc., but that she bikes down to the spring with a few plastic jugs to get the spring water for drinking.
      Thank you, Helen, that's probably where he went for water (somehow I
      thought there'd be a spring in Slanec, without having gone there, though we
      passed it on the road to Zemplinska Teplica from Kosice)
      I have a "cousin" (my Grandfather's brother's Great Grandson) whose Mother
      is from Slanec, unfortunately, I don't know her maiden name. The "cousin"
      stayed with us for 4 months with his girlfriend (now wife) during the
      summer between his 4th and 5th years at University, before he graduated, 2
      years ago, where they worked for a local resturant. Not sure, but maybe
      other people from Slanec (I know of some from Secovce) that we're somehow
      related to.

      Tom Flynn
      I speak only for myself