13999Re: Lost Recipe

  • Martin Votruba
    Dec 1, 2005
      > He says that modern Turkish uses a word pronounced "sha-PO"
      > (from the French "chapeau") for hat, although Turkish
      > has "kal-PAK" (just like the Russians) for a special kind
      > of fur hat. It comes from somewhere in Asia.
      >
      > I asked him about loks~a and he said that there's a word
      > pronounced "LAH-ma-dzhan" in Turkish that's a type of
      > pancake traditionally served with ground meat on it.

      Thank you very much for all of that, Helen. It's very useful. There
      actually is a Turkish word _s,apka_ (I checked a dictionary) while I
      didn't find _s,[h]apo_, but I wouldn't be surprised if both were a
      version of the French word. That origin of the word seems more
      plausible to me given its spread in the Slavic languages -- why would
      Czech and Polish pick a word for "hat" from Turkish?

      I wouldn't be surprised if there were a link between loksa and the
      Turkish word (I don't see anything similar in the dictionary, I took
      account of the spelling -- [dzh] is spelled _c_ in Turkish, and tried
      several variations). Etymologists say there is/was a regional
      north-Turkish word _laks,a_ that may have come from Persian. So the
      speculations about the origin of _loksa_ are rather tentative.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic