13995Re: Lost Recipe

  • Martin Votruba
    Dec 1, 2005
      > Turkish words in our dialect, including "kalap"
      > (instead of klobuk) and "teps~a"

      They are used in other Slovak dialects, too (also: t~aps~a). Both
      exist in Hungarian in the same meaning and probably reached Slovak
      from Hungarian. Loksa, too, probably came through another language,
      not directly from a Turkish dialect (but it's not quite clear that
      that's the origin).

      I know it's _tepsi_ both in Hungarian and Turkish; and _kalap_, "hat,"
      in Hungarian. What Turkish word did _kalap_ come from?

      BTW, _c~iapka_, "hat," is from Turkish via Hungarian (the word means
      "hat" and is pronounced [shapka] both in Hungarian and Turkish).

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic