      From: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      [mailto:Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of sandman6294
      Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 5:04 PM
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Re: LDS records

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "J. Michutka" <jmm@p...> wrote:

      > They do not transcribe the records, they microfilm them. So you are
      seeing a microfilm copy of the original record. Records are often in
      Latin, sometimes Hungarian, sometimes (esp more recent ones) Slovak.
      I've seen Slovak Jewish records in German and either Yiddish or Hebrew
      (used Hebrew script).<

      If the records are for what is now NE and E Slovakia, you can also find
      records in Rusyn (or perhaps Church Slavonic), which use the Cyrillic
      alphabet. Reading cursive Cyrillic can get you to cursing at times.

      RU