13775LDS records

  • J. Michutka
    Nov 1, 2005
      At 03:28 PM 11/1/2005 +0000, you wrote:
      >This is probably a dumb question, but when the LDS records the
      >records from Slovakia, they record them in English right? Is there
      >allot of misspellings, or transcript errors, due to the language
      >transcriptions?

      They do not transcribe the records, they microfilm them. So you are seeing
      a microfilm copy of the original record. Records are often in Latin,
      sometimes Hungarian, sometimes (esp more recent ones) Slovak. I've seen
      Slovak Jewish records in German and either Yiddish or Hebrew (used Hebrew
      script).

      The readability varies widely, from illegible to perfect. Sometimes the
      handwriting is large, clear, beautiful, but the letters are formed a little
      differently than modern American English, and that can be a stumbling block
      for a little while.

      So, you won't have to worry about transcription errors in the records you
      view! The pleasure--and pain--of figuring out the records will be all yours!

      Julie Michutka, cross-eyed from hours at microfilm readers
      jmm@...
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic